Should I choose virtualization or the cloud?

Should I choose virtualization or the cloud?

Do you fully understand the differences between cloud computing and virtualization technologies? Maybe you're confused or you’ve heard a fellow business owner talk about why one is better than the other? Below is a list of the key differences between the two. You can use this list to understand and determine which solution is best for your business:

Differences between cloud computing and virtualization

Virtualization allows you to you transfer hardware power using software. Many organizations virtualize an in-house server because if only 60% of a server’s computing power is needed to support the company email, it’s difficult to ensure that the other 40% is being used efficiently.

With virtualization, you can create two virtual servers from a single set of hardware. Each can be configured with the precise amount of memory and processing power for the needs of specific services such as email, data storage, and hosted VoIP. Using this IT more efficiently allows you to lower your IT maintenance costs.

Contrarily, cloud computing, is a method for delivering processing power. It allows you to access servers and other IT resources via the internet. It is always possible to pay for access to a traditional cloud server (one set of hardware, one computer) or a virtualized cloud server. One of the biggest benefits of the cloud is that you can access your IT resources from anywhere, at any time, as long as you have an Internet connection.

Online Computers’ cloud solutions offer a secure and efficient IT ecosystem that allows you to focus on improving business practices.

Arguments for virtualization

If you’re an end user, a virtualization migration is relatively easy on you since most of the upgrades are done behind the scenes. Employees most likely won’t even realize that your business’s server has been virtualized. Adopting cloud technology, on the other hand, means your employees will need to learn new apps, logins, security practices, and several other new processes. A change as big as implementing cloud technology could mean a loss in productivity.

Arguments for the cloud

Maybe you’re ready and willing to take a short-term reduction in employee productivity in exchange for more predictable hardware. In that case, choosing cloud computing is an obvious choice. Even though your employees will have to learn new processes, the cloud is easier on your IT team and on your company. Some migrations, like moving from locally installed Office software to the cloud-based Office 365, won’t affect end users at all.

Which is the best choice for your business?

Virtualization is best if you are looking to increase the efficiency of your existing IT hardware. If you prioritize long-term growth and IT flexibility, then cloud computing might be worth it.

One major thing that both of these technologies have in common is that they both need the unwavering support of trained professionals. Whether you’re virtualizing a server or upgrading to a cloud app, things like network security and data backups will need specialized care.

If you’re a business in or around Hanover, Morristown, and Madison, NJ, give us a call today to receive a special consultation.